Monday, July 20, 2009

JULY MEDICAL CHATTER

I've been given a series of 3 epidurals every 6 months since the first of 2008. In March I had 3, which did not work,so in April, I had 3 more using different meds..they helped some. I had 3 this month which they said were 'more specific' [aka a new med]. A Pain Management Physician in a Surgical Center does the procedure. He had recently mentioned that he would like to see a medical report re the condition of my back. Over the weekend when I was filing papers, I found 3 MRI reports as well as a Bone Density report, which I took today for him to see. After reviewing them, he said that my back is really bad and he's suprised that I'm able get any pain relief.
Last week, he said that 'my back is so tight' that it is difficult to get the meds to the area where they're needed. Well, the pain during the procedure today was greater than EVER before..it made me scream. The OR staff was trying to reassure me that it was hurting so much because the meds were going where it was needed. I'm praying that they were right. Later or next week, hopefully I'll learn that they were right and not just helping me to endure the pain.

Because of the increasing negative changes I'm observing in my body, I know that in the not too distant future...I will need assistanance maintaining my mobility.. When I leave home I use my cane. I can manage inside without it because my apartment is comapct. Last month I asked my Primary Physician if there's a possibility that my insurance and/or Medicare would pay for a scooter for me. She firmly assured me they would not!! So I started to research small portable scooters. When a quarterly dividend check arrived,I decided not to reinvest it as usual...I purchased a scooter which I feel will be exactly what I will need and be happy with in the near future.
The pain doctor's comment today re my back's condition confirmed that I made a wise decision to purchase my scooter.

No comments: