Sunday, August 17, 2008

Playing Another Hand

It's that time of year when here in South Florida we have to be prepared for the possibility of a tropical storm or hurricane. Preparations include putting storm protections in place, having enough medicines, water and food, etc. for at least 5 days. At this monent we are on a Tropical Storm Watch as TS Fay approaches Key West, where they are on Hurricane Watch. Tomorrow the first day of school, the schools are closed as well as the next day, because the schools are used as shelters for those whose homes may be unsafe in the event that it does become a hurricane.
Prior to hurricane Wilma back in 2006 we felt reasonably safe, but after a little rain damage we realized the need for storm shutters. We procrastinated, but fortunately we had them installed...just 2 weeks ago. After Wilma, we were without electricity for 8 long days, but we were blessed, some were without for weeks.

Last Wednesday Sanford had his 4th of 6 scheduled cancer treatments. Since his transfusions he feels stronger, Thank God..

On Thursday Pam had her 1st of 3 chemo treatments [scheduled every 3rd week for a 12 week period]. Unlike the frequently heard stories about side affects of chemo treatment, she was blessed, she didn't have any. Her being back in her class room, teaching, less than a month after her surgery makes her Phenomenal in my book. She's a a trooper, God bless her.

On Friday Sanford visited to his new Oncologist. And was advised that it is a possibility that he will need radiation treatments. Won't know for sure until after he has a PET scan.

This past Thursday a cousin from Los Angeles, whom I haven't seen in more than 10 years visited us. Everyone enjoyed her short visit with us. After she left I was a little sad, because she lives so far away and as I thought about it ... realized that I don't know when or if I will see her again. As we age our family means so much more to us than when we were younger. I have 7 First cousins that I know of [my uncle was married twice and I don't know the children from his first marriage]. Of the 7 cousins that I do know, my brother is the oldest male and and I am the oldest female. I know that age is just a number and the higher it is, the more blessed you are. It is a strange feeling to think/realize that I'm older than all of the other female blood relatives........
I've considered a genealogy search and hope to begin one ...one of these days.

No comments: