Thursday, December 6, 2007

ANOTHER DAY UNLIKE ANY OTHER.

This morning I finally had my bone marrow biopsy. It was done in my doctor's office.
I was lying on my side on the table as the doctor pressed spots on my lower back searching for thin bone that was close to the surface when he realized that I was too sensitive in that area to do it there (I have a bad back). He told the nurses that I was "jumping all over the place and would hurt myself if he attempted to get the marrow from there''. He said "Fortunately, there is another part on the body where the biopsy can be done". Are you ready for where?... IN MY CHEST!! ... between my breasts. Yes!!! And that's where it was done... owwwww.
Believe me, there WAS some pain, I won't go into details here... You probably don't want to know anyway, but if you are interested just call me... LOL

Medically, the procedure is described as 'sometimes uncomfortable and is tolerated well by children and adults'. Also said that 'There may be some discomfort after the needles are removed'. I certainly would like to edit that description. There were times when the procedure definitely was not uncomfortable... but was PAINFUL, including sharp, stinging and dull pains. I find it very hard to believe that whomever wrote that description spoke from personal experience... Perhaps they were afraid that if it were known what it's really like... some might refuse to have it done.

I kept my eyes closed until it was finished. As I listened to the doctor and nurses talking during the procedure, I knew I had made the right decision to close my eyes and not see all of the needles and stuff and what was sent to the lab.
One of the nurses held my hand and encouraged me during the procedure... she told me breathe in and out when it REALLY hurt; she kept telling me that I was doing great. Dr. R. also said that I did great. Before I left, other nurses and the receptionist, all complimented me on how great I did.
For a long time after the procedure was finished the nurse had to apply pressure where the needles had been, to ensure that I didn't hemorrhage and so that the blood didn't spread under my skin. I left there with a big bandage on my chest. I'm curious as to what it'll look like when the bandage is removed. I'm taking 2 Tylenol capsules every 4 hours while I have discomfort.

The first part of the results will be ready next week and the second part, I'll learn the following week.

Sanford is seeing the same Oncologist next week, when the doctor will let us know whether or not he thinks San needs chemo therapy. And on December 17, Sanford goes to the hospital for an Outpatient procedure, where the surgeon will 'Take a look around' and check to see if the cancer's all gone.


You never know who's heart you will touch when you share a piece of your own.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

No comments: