Thursday, December 20, 2007

Support service that doesn't support.

I'm not so sure that the cyber world is not as unpredictable as those who know nothing about it believe it to be. Or is it because some of the people who are employed in the the cyber world make it unpredictable and unbelievable.
For years we've shared jokes about people in the work place who should not be allowed to touch computers. Well here's a new one for you. But this is about the support staff of a very popular ISP.


Monday they sent me an email advising that me I could receive, but not send emails because I was sending SPAM... I called them and after some discussion when I explained that on occasion I find it necessary to send blind copies to protect recipients, but I don't send Spam. They agreed that I could send emails. They reconfigured my account, tested it and when everything was back to normal they hung up.

Shortly thereafter, once again, I was unable to send mail, I kept getting an error response. I called them back and spoke with several people who kept transferring me to a more qualified tech as they found they couldn't help me. The last support technician told me that he didn't understand what the problem was and that he could not help me... He suggested I call the manufacturer of my computer. I called eMachines/Gateway and when I explained the reason for my call, they took control of my PC and tried unsuccessfully for almost an hour to resolve the problem. They tried one thing after another to correct the problem. Finally, they said it was a Comcast problem that eMachines could not correct. Advised me to call Comcast back....
I DID NOT call Comcast. Figured why should I ?? They'd already told me they couldn't help me. Imagine paying for service that you weren't getting... I just couldn't believe what was happening.

I called AT&T instead. I'm now a new AT&T Internet customer. Because we already had AT&T local phone service and AT&T wireless service... We're getting a discount on our wireless service, plus $$ back for bundling and for switching to AT&T. Our total bill for all 3 services is less now than we were paying prior to this unbelievable experience with Comcast.
I still can't believe they actually told me that they didn't understand why I was/am having the problem and could not correct it. Have you ever heard of such a thing?

No comments: