Tuesday, July 1, 2008

June- the busy month --The Red Hat Society's 10th Anniversary Celebration

June was a very busy month for me... two doctor appointments, preparations for my trip and major problems with my computer... Once again it took several full days to resolve the PC problem. The router that I have been using and having problems with periodically, ever since we got it, added to the problem. AT&T said the problem had to be resolved by Belkin and Belkin said the problem had to resolved by AT&T, which forced me to purchase a new router. When I signed up for their service, AT&T failed to advise me that there could be compatibility issues using the Belkin router that I had. That worked to my advantage when I complained to the billing department as I ordered their combination modem/router.
After I installed the new AT&T router, I found that Murphy's Law was still with me... my printer wouldn't print. Just when I needed to print documents and confirmations and the like for my trip to the Red Hat Convention on June 20... I could not print anything. I sent everything to Colette in emails and she printed and brought them to me. After I returned... I investigated and learned that one of the printer's cables had become disconnected. Duhhhhh......

The CONVENTION
When you hear of a transportation mechanical delay you think of airplanes... well we had a 3 and half hour Amtrak delay on the way to the Orlando Convention. In addition to missing two group photo shoots, we arrived just after the dinner buffet had been removed from the ballroom where the meal and after-dinner show took place. Fortunately, I had cell-phoned ahead from the train and notified them that we would be late... they were kind enough to set up a table for us with all of the foods that were served at the buffet. After we were seated, When I told them that there were 3 more ladies outside that had arrived just after we did... they were brought in and joined us for dinner.
I and many others expressed disappointment... I didn't have as much fun as I did at the last convention. I'm not exactly sure of why... probably a combination of everything including my travel companions; and perhaps I expected too much because it was the Red Hat Society's 10th Anniversary and Annual International Convention. It left a lot to be desired in the overall planning. One would think that after 9 years they'd have everything down to a science.
It was beautiful and colorful. The theme was Sparkle of the Decades... Clothing worn was the same as what they wore in 1940, 1950, 1960, 1970, 1980 and the final night was the gala where the attire was 'Dress to Impress'. And out came the silks, satins, feathers, beads, bling and hats like you just wouldn't believe. Youcansee it in some of the pictures.
The entertainers were imitators of the entertainers of those decades... They were excellent!! To name a few of them: Tina Turner, Aretha Franklin, Little Richard, The Village people, the Blues Brothers. Elton John and there was music of the Temps, Tops, The Jackson Five and MANY others. Those ladies in all their finery was up and out there in their bare feet dancing like old times, sometimes for 2 hours non stop.. It was a sight to behold... women of all ages and sizes having the time of their lives. Here are a few pictures to give you an idea of what went on that weekend : http://picasaweb.google.com/Bunnierl/DecadesOfSparkle04

No comments: