Friday, June 6, 2008

You think you know people and how they think and then something happens that makes you realize that you really didn't know them at all.

Some one close to me was telling me about a discussion he had with someone on his job. The other person said that they were going to apply for another position... And he told them, "They won't hire you!!". I interrupted and asked him why would he say something like that. Even if it were true, it's not his place to say something like that.
He replied, that he tells people the truth, he doesn't believe in sugar coating the truth.
I told him you shouldn't say things that you know will hurt people's feelings.
He said he 'just tells them the truth. Most people can't handle the truth'.
I reminded him of things that he's said to others and to me in the past that showed total disregard for the feelings of the people he was speaking to.
I told him that he has no right to deliberately hurt people's feelings.
He jumped up... saying "I don't like the atmosphere in here, I'm leaving".
I said, "Yes, you are right, people don't like hearing the truth, that's why you're leaving."
He continued out the door, all the while mumbling about why he knows he's right when he told them what he did. '

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bunni...We can't change how people act, sadly, we can only change how we respond to them...He sounds somewhat judgemental and self-righteous and that is a load to carry...I'm sure that he has been that way a while and sees only the "good" side of it...Not that there is one...
People like that can NEVER handle the "real" truth. They can only undersand "their" version of it...
Some mountains just can't be moved...
Don't get any fret lines over him. Life is much too short...
Hugs.....SassyQLinda